Sunday, June 29, 2008

Beyond Self Gratification

Something I was told today simultaneously bothered me and motivated me, and it really stood out to me. Volunteers/researchers like me come here, do 8-10 weeks of project work, and then go back to their country and say that they have accomplished a social science research project..... but we will have only seen 8 weeks of this place. Am I doing this project simply so that I can go back, feel "more culturally experienced" through my immersive experience, be able to tell people that I've done a "research project," and feel "accomplished" for fighting poverty and whatnot??? These were questions that ran through my mind today.... And I truly had to think about my motives. Indeed, to be honest, these were some of my motivational factors....

But I am determined to take this beyond this level (hopefully). I'm here not just volunteer... I want to be here to create impact, not just to enhance my own cultural understanding, "leadership and social skills," and research skills. These factors are extremely important for me. But, for my project to be successful, I feel that these factors do have to come in second before the rigorous work and raw outcome I sincerely hope to produce. I want to make a visible difference.... Gail has done this for thirty years, I hope that at the very least, my eight weeks can mean something far more significant than a basic research report or something I can tell my friends back home that I did. These are real life issues. I hope to be open-minded, and be ready to adapt to and overcome many challenges, yet still hold on to my core values and beliefs in these next couple of weeks.

No comments: